Thursday 30 April 2009

I got me a new toy!

I think I mentioned in an earlier blog about going at the pantry wall with a hammer and chisel and managing to strip about a square foot in 45 minutes? Well, if i didn't, there it is.

Anyway, I decided this was no good and was presented with the possibility of buying a new toy. So I did. I did a bit of reading and found I needed a rotary hammer drill with a hammering action. A little more searching told me that anything by established brands such as Dewalt or Makita were a touch on the expensive side. And then I spotted an Erbauer (Screwfix's own) SDS rotary hammer drill. sweet. At 70 pounds its about a third of the cost of a big brand, so i figured if i needed to buy 2 i would still be quids in. It also came out with excellent user reviews. Have a read here...(
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/91190/Power-Tools/SDS-Drills/Erbauer-ERB30Y-6kg-SDS-Plus-Drill#reviews)

So i picked it up today having ordered it in and gave it a whirl. It was good. It's a lot on the heavy side at 6Kg but regular breaks should counteract that. But the performance was good. I finished my square meter off in about 15 minutes or so. Pretty pleased. I reckon witha bigger chisel bit I would be more productive too.


Down side is that within those 15 minutes i broke the handle. I think it was probably my fault... but they were happy to replace it. I pick up the new one tomorrow intime for some render bashing with Pops Ward over the bank holiday.
good stuff. here's a pic of my stripped 1 m sq.

No comments:

Post a Comment