Monday 18 April 2011

Grafting away.

Hello.

It’s been a busy few days in the cottage!

Thursday afternoon I left work early and went to womersleys to pick up lime and sand and prependuit for the spare room.

Traffic was ridiculous, so turned a 20 min journey in to an hour.

[insert rant here]

Thursday night I continued with the plasterboarding, nearly getting it finished.

Friday I took off work to get a bit of momentum on the house as Saturday was free too. I started at 8am putting hessian up outside the front of the house ready to do the slurry coat on Saturday. After that job, I finished the plasterboarding, then put a coat of prependuit on the plasterboard. This is a bonding coat to allow lime putty to be used on plasterboard.

Following that, I got a top coat on to one of the bedroom walls. Grand. A good days work, finishing up for a home cooked meal from Hannah at about 10pm I think. I realised during the afternoon that I might get as far as putting lime putty on the ceiling over the weekend, which would be great, but I didn’t have any, so Hannah travelled the well worn road to womersleys for me.

Saturday morning I got a good start again, getting a mix on at 8am for the slurry coat. I don’t much enjoy putting on stipple or slurry coats, so it was nice that both the weather was good and Hannah helped out. Brill. It took until midday to get it done and cleared up. I’ve learnt it’s worth trying to clean things up as you go with plaster rather than leaving it all to the end when it’s dried hard as nails!

So with the slurry coat on, we’re ready for putting on the new top coat on Easter Monday. I’ve got a friend helping out and Hannah too so I’m hopeful of getting it all done in the one day. I hope.

After the bacon and bagels cooked up for lunch I got going putting on the top coat on the rest of the bedroom. I under estimated the time to do this drastically, but really wanted to get it done in the one day. After clear up I clocked off at about 10:30pm. Another good day of graft.

Late Sunday afternoon I started to put the top coat of lime putty on the ceiling. Again, it quickly became evident that the 2 hours I had guessed was going to be longer, so enlisted Hannah to get grubby and help me finish off. It took the hour count down a little but it still took 4 hours. However, that is a momentous point in our project as that is the last coat of plaster to be applied internally.

Although there are and always will be a gazillion of finishing off jobs to do, it’s starting to dawn on us that we’ve nearly finished the bulk of the project – quite strange after nearly 4 years, the last 2 of which have been quite intense!

SO the plastering is don in the bedroom. Cosmetic work will begin now. We need to wait a couple of days and then we will start lime washing the bedroom, this will be done on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday I hope to install the radiator and plumb it in and possibly make a start on the floor. Saturday and Sunday is taken up with a wedding and church stuff, then the Monday is doing top coat outside.

Still a bit of a way to go, but definitely getting there now!

Here are some photos of the finished plaster work…

Until next time, stay classy.







No comments:

Post a Comment