Thursday 14 May 2009

Prep work

So, I've booked Friday (tomorrow) off work to put on the next coat on the front elevation. I popped off to Womersleys on Wednesday lunch time to pick up a load of sand and lime and goat hair... which is surprisingly soft.

My plan for this evening was to put a scratch coat on the pantry wall... but i soon decided this wasn't the best use of time due to the length of time to clear the pantry of tools and materials that are stored in there, and to get the mixer etc out and then cleaned and put away again. So instead i covered the rear elevation with hessian. This went smoothly and was a lot easier and quicker than the front, mainly due to the height and practice! Once the hessian was up I wet the walls down. Apparently if you give them a wet down for a few days before you render you get more effective bonding.

My ambitious plans for the weekend are to put the scratch coat on the front elevation on Friday, and some of Saturday if needed, and then put a harled coat on the rear elevation with what time I have left.

That's the plan anyway.

I think relatively the back of the house is going to be sooo much easier than the front. It is a lower wall, and I can actually reach the gutter from the top of a step ladder, cutting out the time consuming need to put up and take down scaffolding. All the equipment is stored on that side of the house also, so setting up and putting away will be far less of a bind, one hopes anyway.

So to quicken things along tomorrow I've done a bit of prep work. I've taken the barrow, tools and stand for the mixer to the front, the sand is already there, and most importantly I've been to the coop to buy ginger biscuits and bread buns for sandwiches.

However, as there is a met office weather warning out across Huddersfield for thunder storms and heavy rain, we'll see if I do actually get anything done....


This is what BBC weather has to say for my plans

No comments:

Post a Comment